How To Improve Your Blog – Do Follow PluginPosted by Carl Chapman Sr
Welcome Twitter & Facebook Friends!
Glad you guys are here! I’ve been doing the blogging thing for a number of years now, and even though I’m just a passable writer, I’ve managed to put into practice some tricks that have made my blogs pretty successful. I’ve also taught a number of my clients these same tricks which have helped their blogs and websites get highly ranked in the major search engines.
Most SEO guys will tell you that one of the most powerful elements of ‘importance’ to search engines is links that point back to your site. This links and their anchor text is what accounts for your site being indexed and ranked for the keywords in the anchor text. The more links pointing to your site with anchor text that consists of keyword phrases that you are targeting, the better.
This is what makes blogs such a great thing. You can get links pointing back to your site almost at will, if you know how to do it. There are really three main ways:
- Commenting – writing comments on other people’s blogs, using your keyword text as the ‘name’ and the page your are targeting as the ‘website’
- Linking – putting links in your blog post so that your will get a trackback from their blog to yours.
- Blogroll – getting on their blogroll.
Now what most people don’t know is that the first two are generally a waste of time (at least as far as search engines and indexing go) for 95% of all blogs. That is because the blogs are using ‘no-follow’. So the hyperlinks that are pointing to your site, that you so carefully, lovingly, and laboriously added to your list of related blogs by commenting and linking from your posts are nothing but a big waste of time.
“Why are most blogs ‘nofollow’ anyway?” you might be asking. Good question. Peole thought it would be a good way to fight comment spam by the comment spambots. What they forgot about what what the web is about in the first place… people helping one another and linking back and forth. There are better ways to fight comment spam than punishing bloggers who take the time to post thoughtfully on your articles.
That’s why I put together a little training video for people. Totally free, it shows you how to add a neat tool to your browser that will help you detect if a blog is using ‘no follow’ of if the blog owner has been smart enough to use the Do Follow plugin. Plus I show you how to install the Do Follow plugin on your own site.
After you watch the video I’d like for you to do three things for me (well really do them for yourself)
- Install the Quirk SearchStatus toolbar in your browser
- Install the Do Follow plugin for your blog (sorry if you are on WordPress.com or Blogger you should get a self-hosted blog)
- Come back here and comment with your URL telling people that you now “Follow”
Here is a list of some blogs from various fields that you might find helpful to post to, all of which use Do Follow
- Exclusive Executive Resumes – Professional Resume Writers, owned by Erin Kennedy CPRW
- Confessions of an Executive Restaurant Recruiter – CEC Search, LLC, owned by me ;o)
- Medical Tips & Quips – PHC Consulting, owned by Peggy McKee
- Sales Job Interview Questions & Sales Interview Tips – 306090DaySalesPlan.com owned by Peggy McKee
- Internet Marketing SEO - CEC Search, LLC, owned by me
- Apartment Marketing Solutions – Occupancy 100, owned by Pallaton Group
Hope you have found this to be helpful.